10.18.2010

Signs of pregnancy

By the time you are all reading these posts about pregnancy I will be about 3 months or so along... as long as all goes well. I promised my mother in law that she would not have to find out I was pregnant by way of my blog... so after we visit in November for Thanksgiving and surprise her, I will post these blogs. And, even if the worst happens, I promise I will post these blogs, because women need to know, good or bad, what happens with pregnancy especially with PCOS and pregnancy! A very good friend of mine recommended that I journal about the pregnancy as I go along so that I can remember what happened along the way. I feel that my blog is my journal... albeit public for all to see, but still, this is my journal and how I express myself and track my life. So, I make this warning, I will be sharing everything, details that many may not want to read. But this is my journal, my documentation of pregnancy with PCOS, and my way of telling others that getting pregnant with PCOS is possible... and with any luck I will get to also show that you can have a healthy happy baby with PCOS.

So, those lovely signs of pregnancy! Well, your breasts will hurt like no one ever told you they would. They say they will be "tender".... hello! This is not tender... this is freakin' ouch! They say you can jog/run during pregnancy... well if you are an "A" cup or do not have this particular symptom, that that may be true... but for those of us over a "C"...there will be no running... at least not without at least 3 sports bras on!

Pain... yes, pain and cramping. Sometimes it feels like someone is stabbing you in the ovary...for about 2 seconds.. then it goes away. They call it "cramping" but this is no cramping like I have ever had. Some cramping, in certain places is normal in early pregnancy as areas of your body begin to stretch, in ways they never have before!

Nausea... yep, my first bout of morning sickness today. Luckily it never went past the nausea part... but it makes it impossible to go to the gym at 5 am when you just want to throw up and get the day over with.

Speaking of getting the day over with... I thought PCOS had shown me what tired was before... I am only just maybe 5 weeks along and I am Tired!! More tired than ever before. I laughed when I found out I was pregnant, because for two weeks straight I came home and fell asleep on the couch after work, just to get up and go right to bed. So, when I found out I was pregnant I thought... of course I have been sleeping almost non stop for 2 weeks!

Hormones... have you ever cried at just about every commercial you see on TV? The Kaiser commercials about babies, the Jason Mraz song about living without worry, or the Zale's commercial with the daughter and father at the breakfast table (I am practically crying just thinking of this one) ? But it is true, your hormones are all over the map. One second you are laughing the next second you are crying, and sometimes you are doing both at the same time.

My clothes are tight... yes, this a symptom... okay i admit it was a problem before I was pregnant... by seriously... I just bought new clothes a month ago, and already they are tight? Seriously? But, never fear... maternity world includes new fun clothes too! So, more shopping will be done by all! :)

Worry... yes, worry. I think it is a symptom of pregnancy which no one speaks of. It is why so many women wait until they are showing to start telling people around them. We all worry that at any time, this wonderful gift may be taken away from us. At first, when i found out, I said to my husband "I don't want anyone to know" and yet the same day I told my mom, how could I not...she is my mom. I have slipped up a few more times and started to tell other people here and there... we haven't told my husbands family because he wants to tell his mom in person before we tell anyone else in his family.. but anyway... I started to think about why I did this. Why say one minute I don't want any one to know, and the next second be telling people around me that I am in fact pregnant. Here is my thought/reasoning/excuse for my craziness. I am going to worry no matter what, for the next 9 months, and the rest of my life once this baby is born. But if people know now, even though i am so early on, there are that many more good wishes, prayers, and support for this baby out there in the universe already, and they have not even entered the world yet, What better way to start off your life than with the support, love, and excitement of all of those people who do not know you yet but love you and care about you anyway? So, share we will, so that our baby will be blessed with all of the love and care from the start and will start off life with excitement and happiness surrounding them, not from 3 months in utero, but from 4 weeks in utero!


So those are the symptoms as they stand so far. In all seriousness, because I am being flippant with many of these symptoms, I truly believe that each symptom is a part of earning the title of "mom" and that each one is a positive sign that the pregnancy is healthy and that it is well worth the reward of being a parent in the end. I would deal with "tender" breasts, stabbing pains, crying at the drop of a hat, and exhaustion, tight clothing, and worry for a lifetime if I get to have the honor of being a parent during this life time. Although I hear that many of those symptoms are not just for pregnancy, they last forever as you watch your child grow into an amazing adult. So here's hoping to a lifetime of pregnancy symptoms!

2 comments:

Rainbow Spork said...

I know I'm no where near the first to say this, and neither is this the first time I am saying this, but...yay for you both! Shawn and I both are insanely happy for you guys, there isn't a better deserving couple out there. Count us in on sending those well wishes y'all's way ^_^

They always talk about how beautiful pregnancy is, and how it's such an amazing thing. Well, okay, so it is amazing, but it's also so many other gross things you never expected! You're so right though, it's all worth that moment when you're in the hospital and they place that beautiful baby on your chest. You're going to make a great mom, it's already so evident. I'm so happy for you!!!! *sniffs and cries a little*

Shae said...

Hi, I have been "out of the loop" for a while and am just now reading about your pregnancy. CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so happy for you. :)