5.31.2010

PCOS is making me crazy!!

Two months. That is the length of time between my last period and today. As you will recall, last time it actually paid me a visit it was the relative that was supposed to stay a week and ended up staying for 3 months. Now, it stays away, making no visits at all. I started to have all of the signs last weekend, but nothing happened. Then, Monday, hello Migraine!! Two days of not being able to work because I could not drive let alone handle being in light or wear my contacts, and still no period. So, Tuesday brought a visit to the GYN to explore BCP to manage the hormone levels and regulate the monthly periods, in hopes of preventing the migraines. The GYN placed me on my favorite, Progesterone, so my poor husband has been exposed to my less appealing attitude the last few days. 10 Days on Progesterone was supposed to be followed by the start of 1) a period and 2)LoestraFE the BCP, however, the period is dragging its feet and a Friday visit to the Endocrinologist has also changed the plans.

Friday I took a visit to my wonderful Endo's office (I am serious, they are wonderful), accompanied by my wonderful husband because I have to fast for blood work. Anyway, the RN did not fully agree with the GYN about starting the BCP (that was a lot of abbreviations... sorry), mostly because 1) we plan to start trying to get pregnant in the next year and 2) it is clear the Metformin is keeping my levels in the right place but that it is not preventing symptoms (i.e. hair growth, menstruation regulation, acne, etc.). The new plan is now to try Avandamet, which is a lovely drug with lots of law suites, deaths, and recalls in Canada! However, the claim is that you are only at risk if you are prone to heart failure. I don't think I am so here we go. I started the Avandamet last week (this is a combo of Avandia and Metformin) to see if this will help my body start to regulate itself better without BCP. I am supposed to give it 3 months and then return to the Endo for an update.

So, it seems I have now left the eastern medicine approach for now and am again giving Western medicine a try. The tough part is, I have not continued to follow through on what I learned previously from the eastern medicine (i.e. good diet and making time for myself), and at the Endo's office I found myself getting yet another reminder that we SHOULD be exercising, as this is the #1 way to help the drugs to do their job (coupled with healthy eating!) So, tomorrow again, I will begin the No Sugar, No Yeast regiment and my husband and I will venture to the gym for the "45 minutes of carido, 5 days per week" that the Endo continues to remind me to participate in!

On a happy front, things may be changing soon work wise for both my husband and I. We are hopeful that the last half of the year will be much more prosperous than the first half was.

Happy Memorial Day!

3 comments:

Aunt B said...

This is your Aunt B and I am moved by your blog. It makes me sad, however, to know that while the migraine gene skipped my own daughters, I have unknowingly passed it on to my special niece. I hear you loud and clear and I am by your side at each step you take toward good health and happiness.

cwbrynan said...

Very informative, a nice level slice of reality. I'm glad you are not abandoning the eastern approach, keeping the body moving and healthy can't hurt. Excellent post.I aim to follow your journey.
U.C.

RR said...

Thanks for your support Aunt B and Uncle C! It sure is a long road to being healthy... hopefully I will continue on the right path! You guys are the best! Miss you and Love you both very much!