3.10.2010

The Distant Past - quickly explained (Western Medicine)

I don't remember the day, but I remember the words, "I think you have something called PCOS." PCOS, or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, the words meant nothing, I had never heard of such a syndrome. I went home dazed, tired (as I often was), and scared. How would PCOS effect my life, my future? What did it mean about who I am? The doctor had given me few answers as I sat in the sterile, white walled exam room, staring at my hands. "What can I do?" I asked. The doctor looked at me a sighed, "well you can go on something called Metformin or you can do nothing." I sat for a moment unsure what else to say, how to feel. I left that day with an answer that I had PCOS but nothing further.
After a few days I started to do research. Here is what I found:

* up to 10% of women have PCOS
* PCOS increases your risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
* up to 50% of women with PCOS are over weight.
* Metformin (a diabetes medication) is the #1 treatment for PCOS
* Changes in diet and exercise may also be helpful
* PCOS decreases your chances of conception and leads to a higher risk of miscarriage.

Such uplifting statistics were no help. I felt more depressed, sad, and scared about my future. Until the day that I found the website pcosupport.org and other women with PCOS. I started asking questions, looking for answers. "Why would I do nothing?" "Why was I diagnosed if I am supposed to 'do nothing'?" I slowly began to find answers, a top of the line Endocrinologist (The best in the state and one of the best in the country). Metformin, diet, exercise were the answers i received.

I began Metformin but I was still exhausted, overweight by about 35 pounds, had acne and was beginning to notice dark hairs growing on my chin. I was too tired to exercise, too tired to work, too tired to feel alive.

No comments: