3.10.2010

Six Weeks Ago: The New Path

Twenty-four years ago my family moved to Colorado. Since that time I have experience a barrage of sinus infections and colds. Over the years the pediatrician placed me on antibiotics at least 2-3 times per year. With each year the sinus infections got worse and the antibiotics stronger. At the age of 16 I had Mononucleosis and a sinus infection, had my tonsils removed, and was again placed on the strongest antibiotics around for a cure. I missed a lot of high school due to being sick all of the time and now that I look back it was around my senior year of high school that I began to feel tired, really tired.

I often stop in the middle of my day and think, how can someone my age be so tired. I am 28 years old and I am supposed to be alive, energetic, and ready to go, but most days I am just tired.

Last year, I was one of the unfortunate people to come down with H1N1 (or so they told me), but none the less, it was a flu and it was terrible. I was sick for 3 weeks. Since that time I have found myself with a sinus infection or generally bad congestion in my throat and nose at all times. At times it is so bad I have coughing fits and at one point I lost my voice for a good solid week. It was about six weeks ago that I became fed up. After two visits to the doctor I was again placed on antibiotics, which failed to work this time, and then placed on Mucinex. My doctor told me to stay on the Mucinex until the congestion was gone. After two weeks I stopped taking it, thinking I was fine and all congestion returned with a vengeance.

I know, what on EARTH does this have to do with PCOS? It is because around this time I started to ask questions. Why is it every time I go to the doctor (3-4 times per year) I am placed on medication and told to go home and get better. Why is it no one has ever said "let's figure out what is the CAUSE of your sinus problems" and try to fix that? Don't we live in a modern world? We are working to cure cancer but we cannot rid the world of sinus infections!?!

Around this time I also began what I will refer to as the 7 week flood (you get the picture). I became very frustrated and just wanted answers. Why did PCOS happen to me and why isn't anyone trying to help me fix the problem.

It has been my personal feeling, since beginning Metformin that although the medication "fixes" the symptoms, I still have PCOS. Where is the cure? Where is the fix for the problem not just the symptoms. And how can i eventually live independent of PCOS and Metformin all together, without just waiting until menopause?

I am not here to tell you I found the answer, yet, but I can say that a new path opened while I was going through this tough time. While at work one day a Co-Worker suggested that I visit an acupressurist whom she had been seeing, and who she swore had fixed her sinus problems.

The path had opened up so I decided to take a chance and try a new road, after all I had been on the same single track for the past 4 years. It was time to try a new way and hopefully a new answer to all that i have been experiencing.

No comments: