3.29.2010

PCOS: Some days It Just Makes Me Tired

Okay, maybe not PCOS that made me tired today (it was probably that I was having allergies last night and could not breath), but it did remind me how tired PCOS has made me in the past. Yes, tired, exhausted, fatigued, burned out, collapsed, finished, petered out, stick a fork in me I am done! Some days it is just so hard to get out of bed and walk to the kitchen to take all of my supplements. Today was one of those days. I was reflecting today on my fatigue level, however, and noted that it is not nearly as bad as it used to be. In the past when I had not slept well I would have probably ended up with a migraine, I would have called all of my clients to cancel sessions because I was so tired. But not today, even though I got next to no sleep and woke up when my husband did (at 6:45am), I was still functional. In fact I wrote my lecture for this Wednesday, cleaned up the house, and made it to all of my clients, I even got home and made dinner and got more work done. No one should work until 8:30 pm, it is nuts! Anyway, all of this progress makes me happy. I am excited to have some energy and it makes me think that it may be possible to get rid of the Metformin eventually. It seems like my body is starting to wake up and see that it can do more than it has been doing for the past few years! I have even been considering starting up some exercise in the mornings. I plan to continue to hold off on any heavy duty cardio (like the 5 miles of running I used to do) and start with something like yoga in the mornings and evenings. I think this will help with some strengthening and not push my immune system too far or fatigue me past the point of no return. So, tomorrow, since I have a late start for work, I am going to attempt to get up and do 30 minutes of yoga.. I feel like if I put it on my blog I will have to stick to it.. there are now two people I know of who will know if I don't do it!

I was also considering that I must complete my adrenal test tomorrow or Wednesday, which is challenging. This is something the Acupuncturist/Naturopath gave me to complete. It is a small kit with 4 vials filled with cotton. I have to pull out the cotton, soak it under my tongue, and then return it to the vial, being sure to refrigerate it. I was planning to complete this last weekend, and then got so busy and went out of town, so obviously it did not get done. I am not sure how to get it accomplished while at work (and on top of this I cannot eat any garlic and onions the day I do it for some reason), so it will be interesting for sure. Let's see if i can do yoga and get my adrenal test done tomorrow... those sound like good goals.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Good night!

2 comments:

Shae said...

I know exactly what kind of "tired" you are talking about. PCOS drains you. I have been on Metformin since Jan. and I am just now starting to be able to tell a change in my energy. I feel better. Hopefully, the longer I am on Met...the better I will feel.

RR said...

Shae- I have been on Met for about 5 years now... and it has been interesting that I find that my symptoms still come and go. I wish you lots of luck in your journey with PCOS! It is nice to know there are other women out there who are traveling this path as well! Best of luck to you!!