4.08.2010

Another day... Another Diet

A visit to the naturopath yesterday was interesting and helpful as always. I feel I should back up a bit. Tuesday was a horrible day. I woke up feeling sluggish and much like I imagine it would feel like to be a zombie. I had a crazy morning and then ambled into work at 1:30pm, realizing I had forgotten the ever important monthly parent meeting. I called my boss, explained my situation and returned to my job. By that evening I had been bitten (yes someone bit me!) and I went home in tears. Some days don't you just feel like you suck at your job? I did that day.

Cut to yesterday, a new day and new appointment with the needles and my favorite naturopath. We discussed my Easter Day snafu of too much food and my new zombie like feelings. While lots of needles were being stuck all over (chest, legs, feet, back, and stomach), we discussed my diet. I was excitedly explaining how I was going to soon be done with the Candida Diet when the naturopath started, just as excitedly, telling me about my next two diets... my excitement waned at the mention of more diets. So, the next diets, once I am done with the Candida Diet, will be (in this order) The Elimination Diet followed by a likely appearance of the Insulin Resistant Diet. The first (Elimination Diet) will last only 3 weeks... or so I am told, the second (IR diet) could last any amount of time... But I don't know how long. This makes me a bit concerned and I have a feeling the IR diet does not involve a return of sugar and sweets to my diet, and maybe not alcohol either. :(

So what is the elimination diet? The goal is to determine what sorts of foods cause distress and inflammation to your GI tract (i.e. intestines and stomach). The thought is that because your GI tract not only digests food for you, but also is responsible for your immunity and health, keeping foods that upset the GI tract would be important. Makes sense... right?? So, you eat a diet of Water, rice, millet, quinoa, buckwheat, tapioca, fresh fruit (Thank god!), vegetables, beans, peas, fish, chicken, turkey, lamb, and or olive oil/flax seed oil. Then every three days you add in one of the "forbidden foods." These include: Dairy, gluten, tomato products, soy products, alcohol, caffeine, peanut products, beef, pork, cold cuts, bacon, hot dogs, canned meat, sausage, shellfish,and meat substitutes made from soy... and of course sugar too! You then add that forbidden food (just one at a time) until you have "symptoms of inflammation" such as body aches, gas,bloating, general feelings of yuck, fatigue, etc. If you never show signs then you can keep that food in your diet! But if you have symptoms then that food is out... for good. :( I have a feeling sugar will be out... for good. I have NO idea how I will do this one.. but I will do my best. If not for my health... just for something to keep writing about or just for the experience to see if all of these diets and craziness work. Luckily, (and I never thought I would say Luckily and Candida diet in the same sentence) I still have the freedom of the Candida diet for at least two more weeks.

As for the IR diet... I have not researched it, but I am hoping that once I am through the elimination and candida diets, there may not be a need for the IR?!?! I'll let you know how it turns out! I do know that this is a diet many women with PCOS and metabolic syndrome use to lose weight and become healthy. At this point, if it gets me off Metformin I am willing to try!

I did leave the naturopath on Wednesday feeling a bit more energized and ready to face the world. After one more client that afternoon and a stellar (if I do say so myself) guest lecture at the university, I came home and felt TONS better. (One of the students even wrote "you rock" on the bottom of my evaluation).

Thursday, yes today is Thursday, went fairly well. I had a fairly quiet work day, I feel tired but not like a zombie, and I am looking forward to a day off tomorrow and a pedicure as my treat for the day! I wish everyone a very happy and relaxed weekend. If it is warm where you are get out and move and appreciate that you have a body that works for you... even if it only works 25% of the time!

No comments: