7.04.2010

Back to the Met!

Happy 4th of July everyone! Since I began this blog, I have gone back and forth with my health, tried a few new things, and I find myself feeling frustrated... or is that just the hormonal imbalance of PCOS? Maybe a bit of both.

As you know, I have been on the Avandamet for the past month. I have not been too pleased with how I was feeling on it. I have been very tired, my arms started falling asleep at night, I have woken up a few nights with my heart racing. And then, as you see from my last posting, I heard about the latest studies on Avandia (AvandaMet is 1/2 Avandia and 1/2 Metformin). Basically the medical community is feeling that Avandia is not safe and that 1 in 30 people using it will have a heart attack. So, I called my endocrinologist. Now, let me say, I think I have one of the best Endocrinologists in the country. However, I was informed that they wanted me to stay on the Avandamet and "give it more time" because these are not "normal side effects" of the Avandamet that I was reporting. It is funny though. I made up my own mind and went back to Metformin... and I feel SO much better in the past 3 days. My intestines are a bit unhappy, but I remember that from when I first started the Metformin and it passes.

The most exciting change that is coming soon is that I finally got my husband to agree to hire a personal trainer for a couple times per month. I am hopeful this will be the motivation I have been needing to kick my butt into gear and get me losing weight. I am really convinced that if I can add in exercise and start to make healthier choices, with the guidance of a professional, that I will be able to get back to where I was 3 years ago when i was living in California. Also, I feel that my health needs to be a number one priority right now as we start to get closer to starting our family!

Have a happy and safe 4th of July everyone!

No comments: